About The Indianapolis Star
In 1907, The Star moved to the intersection of Pennsylvania and New York streets where it would remain.
Daniel G. Reid purchased The Star in 1904 and hired John Shaffer to serve as publisher, later replacing him with Alexander McCormick. But after a lengthy court battle Shaffer emerged as the majority stockholder of The Star in 1908. He served as editor and publisher from 1911 until his death in 1943.
Ben Lawrence, a former Portland Oregonian writer was brought in by Shaffer during the early years. Lawrence became editor and publisher of The Star after Shaffer’s death in 1943.
On April 25, 1944, Eugene C. Pulliam purchased The Star from the Shaffer estate. In 1944 The Star trailed The News in circulation. Pulliam increased the staff and initiated reforms in the newspaper and has remained so ever since.
In 1948 Pulliam purchased controlling interest in The Indianapolis News. Business, mechanical, advertising and circulation operations of both The Star and The News were combined, but both newsrooms continued to operate independently with their own staffs, tradition and character. The News moved into The Star building in 1950.
Eugene C. Pulliam died in 1975 and was succeeded by his son Eugene S. Pulliam who served as publisher from that time until his death in 1999.
The Pulliams also owned other newspapers in Indiana and in Arizona and operated them under the corporate name Central Newspapers Inc.
After the death of Eugene S. Pulliam in 1999, Dale Duncan was named publisher and The News folded. Surviving trustees of the privately-held Central Newspapers chain began looking at options to merge the small chain into a larger media company.
In 2000, The Star became part of the Gannett Co., the nation's largest newspaper chain.
On August 1, 2000, when the transaction was final, Barbara A. Henry became publisher of The Star. Henry, who had been publisher of the Des Moines (Iowa) Register since 1996, came up through the ranks as a reporter and editor and had begun her career at The Indianapolis News in 1974 as one of the first recipients of the Pulliam Fellowship, a journalism internship program created by Eugene C. Pulliam shortly before his death.
In July, 2002, The Star unveiled the Pulliam Production Center, a $72-million state-of-the-art printing facility located at 8278 N. Georgetown Road in the city's Northwestside.
Barbara Henry retired in August 2008 after eight years as publisher. Under her leadership, The Star made numerous innovations in the way it presented news: posting photos and short news stories on the paper's website within minutes of an event; incorporating live video feeds and video clips on the Web site; adding searchable databases to the Web site; and creating a number of hyper-local editions that serve readers and advertisers in communities such as Carmel and Greenwood.
Henry was succeed as publisher by Michael G. Kane, 49, formerly publisher of the Rochester (N.Y.) Democrat and Chronicle. He graduated from Virginia Tech in 1981 with a degree in journalism/communications, then worked for six months as a freelance sportswriter in Northern Virginia. In 1982, he became an executive in the International Newspaper Marketing Association, a trade organization where he spent six years traveling the country安徽快3时时彩 and the world advising various newspapers on how to promote and brand themselves. In 1988, he became manager of marketing for The Baltimore Sun. A series of similar positions followed at papers in Delaware and New York. His first job as a publisher came at The Lansing (Mich.) State Journal, where he remained for 5 1/2 years. In 2005, he was named publisher in Rochester and vice president of Gannett's East Newspaper Group.
On January 2, 2011, Karen Ferguson, 40, assumed the role of president and publisher of Star Media. Ferguson came to The Star from Phoenix, where she was senior vice president of advertising and strategic planning for Republic Media, which publishes The Arizona Republic. She replaced Kane, who moved back to Rochester, N.Y., to operate the East Group for Gannett, Star Media's parent company. Kane also returned as president and publisher of the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle.
Ferguson, a graduate of Northwestern University with a degree in journalism, spent most of her career on the business side of the newspaper industry. Her first job out of college was at the Post-Tribune in Gary, where she held positions in the advertising and circulation departments. She has been with Gannett for 18 years, working in Nashville, Palm Springs, Phoenix and Reno.
The Star has won the Pulitzer Prize twice for investigative reporting. In 1975, The Star was honored for its 1974 series on corruption within the Indianapolis Police Department. It was cited again in 1991 for its 1990 series on medical malpractice.
The Indianapolis News
The first edition of The Indianapolis News hit the street on Dec. 7, 1869, at a price of two cents a copy. Former Indianapolis Sentinel reporter John Holliday founded The News. It published Monday through Saturday.
Under Holliday, The News was politically neutral and committed to the community. It exposed graft by Indiana Supreme Court judges in 1876. It pushed for the creation of the first city charter and a Chamber of Commerce. The News fought an attempt by Standard Oil Co. to distribute natural gas in Indianapolis.
In 1909, a libel suit was filed against The News by the federal government when the newspaper questioned Theodore Roosevelt’s work on the Panama Canal deal. Editors of The News were indicted but refused to be tried in Washington, saying the trial should be held in Indianapolis where the alleged libel took place. The judge ruled in favor of The News, and the ruling still stands as a landmark victory for the freedom of the press.
Holliday ran the paper until ill health forced him to sell to a group of investors led by William H. Smith of Chicago and Charles Warren Fairbanks. Fairbanks was a former secretary of state and served as vice president during Theodore Roosevelt’s second term. Smith served as publisher until his death in 1896. His son Delavan Smith was publisher from 1896 until 1921. Fairbanks' sons Warren, Frederick and Richard would serve as publishers successively from 1921-44. Under Warren Fairbanks, The News won a Pulitzer Prize in 1932 for an 18-month campaign to cut waste in city and county government.
The News would become Indiana’s largest newspaper and would be known as "The Great Hoosier Daily."
In 1948, Eugene C. Pulliam purchased The News from the Fairbanks family and remained its publisher until his death in 1975.
When The Indianapolis Times folded in 1965, The News became the city’s only evening newspaper.
Eugene S. Pulliam became publisher in 1975 after his father died and served until his own death in 1999. Dale Duncan was named his successor. The trend of declining circulation and the demise of afternoon newspapers across the country安徽快3时时彩 had finally hit The News. In 1995, the newsroom staffs of The Star and The News merged, but the editorial staffs and pages remained separate. On Oct. 1, 1999, The Indianapolis News published its last newspaper.
The Indianapolis Star celebrated its 100th anniversary on June 6, 2003.
The brainchild of Muncie industrialist George F. McCulloch, The Star challenged the two existing morning newspapers in the city, the Journal and the Sentinel.
McCulloch paid a balloonist $650 to drop red stars on the city in the days leading up to the launch on June 6, 1903. Others were dropped from the Soldiers and Sailors Monument, which had been dedicated the previous May.
A year and two days after The Star began, it absorbed the Journal, and in 1906 it purchased the Indianapolis Sunday Sentinel.